Saturday, October 14, 2006

Fall

Just a quick note from upstate New York, where I am visiting family and loving the fact that fall turns the landscape this amazing array of colors. It's been a good one for color, this fall, though it seemed as though I woke up one morning and suddenly everything had changed from luscious green to orange and red in a single day. Brr! The wind set in today too, reminding me that any hope for Indian summer is probably long gone. Ah, well. I can sit inside under my toasty blanket and admire the colors from afar.

Do you have a favorite season to write about? Do you tend to set your stories at a particular time of year? Of course we know that weather can be a great external conflict no matter what our story (if you need a little conflict between characters, throw in a storm or two, right?). But do you ever deliberately choose a season for the very reason that it frames your story? Or do you rely on a rather general anytime of year?

1 comment:

Marianne Arkins said...

Let's hear it for SUMMER! Warm, bright, green, wonderful... woo hoo! Spring is my next favorite season when everything is just beginnging to wake up after its long sleep. But I need the warmth of summer, and I seldom set my stories anywhere when it's cold.