Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Writers' Wednesday: An Interview with Mary Eason

Welcome to Writers' Wednesday ~ hope you're enjoying your holiday :) Today I'm chatting with chick lit author Mary Eason. Her novel The Things You Think You Want just released last month with Samhain, so let's find out a little bit more!

Hi, Mary! Thanks for stopping by during this busy holiday season. So, can you tell us about your latest writing project or published title?

My latest book, entitled The Things You Think You Want released through Samhain Publishing on November 27th. It is a chick lit romance that I’m very proud of because it has a lot of me in it. It's about a woman who realizes finding love is the easy part.


Carrie Sinclair thought she knew exactly what she wanted from life until she came face-to-face with the bluest eyes in Texas.

Ooh, I love that tagline! OK, what advice would you give to new writers just starting out?

Chances are, unless you are Nora Roberts you aren’t going to get rich by writing. Do it because you love it. Writing is a roller coaster ride. The highs are very high, but the lows can bring you to your knees if you aren’t tough. You have to find a way to learn not to take rejection personally.
What kinds of books do you like to read? Who is your favorite author?

I read many different romance genres, but my favorites are Romantic Suspense and Romantic Comedy. My favorite authors are Lisa Gardner, Rita Herron, Brenda Novak, Nora Roberts, and Lilly Winston.

Now for a tough question: What do you find most difficult about writing?

For me, the most difficult part of writing is the distractions from it. Today, with the internet, authors are required to do more of their own publicity. That in itself can be a full time job. It’s easy to get caught up in promoting and lose your writing time.

Very true! So what do you find most exciting or rewarding?
My favorite part of writing is seeing my name on the cover of my book and hearing that someone loved the story I created. There’s nothing like those two things to keep you going.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I love being with my family as well and with my granddaughter Ava. I’m a huge reader. I read everything I can get my hands on. Also, my hubby and I have a vacation home in the Colorado Rockies. We love spending time there.

That sounds amazing! So when you write, do you use the computer or compose by hand, oral dictation, or some other method?

My method of writing is my laptop. When I start a new project, I give myself permission to simply write the story that’s in my head all the way to the end without editing it.
Once I’m done, then the fine-tuning begins.

This has been a great interview. Anything else you’d like to mention?

Only that I love hearing from my readers. They can contact me at maryjeason@netzero.com
And I’m always, always, always giving something away over on my website. So, stop by and check it out.
http://www.maryeason.bravehost.com/

Other places to find Mary?

Thanks for being here today, Mary, and good luck with your writing!

Thanks so much for having me, Allie.

3 comments:

Sarita Leone said...

Great interview! :)

windycindy said...

Hi, A home in the Colorado Rockies sounds like heaven to me! Thanks for the interview and sharing about yourself! Have a wonderful new year.
Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Diane Craver said...

Hi Mary,
I'm thrilled you're Allie's author for her weekly interview. Btw,I enjoyed doing the November chat with you. Great interview - nice to learn more about you and how you approach your writing.

After getting my first print royalty check, I definitely agree with what you said about not getting rich from writing, unless you're NR. Or Debbie Macomber. She took her whole family on a cruise to Hawaii for Christmas. LOL I write because I love it. Your new book sounds like another great one. I'm putting it on my list to read in 2008! I hope you sell lots of books.