Thursday, January 10, 2008

Can I Please Have Yesterday Back?

"Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice.” ~ Bill Watterson

Yesterday I had my first-ever telephone interview about my books and my writing. It was with the "Living" Editor at my hometown newspaper (the hometown where I grew up, not where I currently live). It was weird! I did have an interview appear in another local paper, a few months back, but the editor just sent the question via email and I sent them back. At my leisure. When I could think through my responses and reread and reword them if I wanted to.

With this, I just had to think on my feet and answer her questions...and of course when we finished and hung up I thought of at least 2 things I wanted to say differently. Or add. Or delete altogether. But I don't know the etiquette for that sort of thing. I don't think you're supposed to call back up and say "Oh, by the way, you know when I was rambling on about what I would do if I actually appeared on Oprah? Well..."

And it wouldn't be such a big deal if it weren't going to appear in the local paper of the town where I grew up. I mean, I don't even live there anymore, so it's not like I have to read it and see it and hear people in the grocery store talking about it. But at the same time, it's a pretty small town, and a lot of the kids I grew up with are now adults raising their own kids there...and if you know anything about how people talk and remember things in small towns, then...

We'll see. I think it went well overall. She didn't really ask me anything I couldn't answer. And I have to be better at letting go of what's done and gone and what I can't control. Aargh. I'll let you know how it turns out!

5 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

You're famous!!! And, I "knew you when"... :-)

windycindy said...

You did just fine, I am sure! The town will be saying good things about you. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Dru said...

As Marianne said, "you're famous".

I bet it will be a good interview when in print.

Congratulations!

L. Lemanski said...

"And it wouldn't be such a big deal if it weren't going to appear in the local paper of the town where I grew up."

This is like those moments you daydream about . . . when small town girl gets famous and she shows 'em all back home. How cool is that!?!

Congrats!

Emma Sanders said...

I know exactly what you mean. I go back over in mind what was said or not said, but we're always our own worst critic. Congrats on the interview!