Sunday, May 25, 2008

Planting Time!

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity." Charles Mingus

It's shaping up to be a glorious weekend...the goal for today is to finish planting some annuals around the house and then tackle the vegetables - we're trying container gardening this year for the first time. Should be an interesting experiment!

***

Diane posted the link to a great article on deep POV (point of view), which I'm going to link to here as well, for any writers out there.

[Loved this line: "The heroes I take to bed with me, usually after they have fallen off a horse or been shot. That’s when they introspect on their past the best..."]

Hmm. Maybe I need to insert a horse or two in my novels.

I've never really had a problem with POV; I'm usually pretty clear on whose head I'm in, and I don't hop around often. But the recent comment from my editor, about the couple of scenes in minor characters' POV in One Night in Memphis, has me worried. I mean, she's right: I do have a couple. Three, if I remember right. Do they add to the plot? Well, they move the action along. And they happen in places where the hero and heroine aren't present. Again, I haven't opened the file my editor sent me yet (I'm putting it off until after the weekend), but I hope she doesn't want me to cut them altogether.

Sigh.

I'm off to play in the dirt!

4 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

Your so funny, not opening the file. The suspense would be killing me!!

Have fun planting. I have some annuals I'll need to finish off today or tomorrow, too.

Dru said...

Enjoy your day gardening. What is container gardening?

Have a good Sunday.

Devon Gray said...

Have fun today! I'll keep my fingers crossed about your edits- I hope they are few and far between with no gut-wrenching cuts!

windycindy said...

Hi, We are planting some additional perennials and cleaning out our two flower beds! I am working on getting a cottage garden look. I do a lot of container gardening with annuals. My dad has a vegetable garden. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com