Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Great Summer Olympics Moments, Day Three

Here we are...I know you're wondering which great moment(s) I chose for today. Well, today's a different sport: diving. First of all, the entire event amazes me. I don't think I'd be able to even climb up onto that highest platform, let alone jump off while doing a double twisting dive on the way down. And have you seent he synchronized divers? They do those crazy dives AT THE SAME TIME AS their partner. Yikes. But I digress. Today's great moment goes back to 1988:

Greg Louganis Winning Gold in Seoul - You remember this one, don't you? He hit his head on the springboard and then came back to win the gold, diving with a concussion and a bandaged head! (Warning: this video clip shows him with an earlier accident, as well - it's a little graphic, but he survived, so all is well)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember these both VIVIDLY. And I was only 7 when the first one happened.

Dru said...

I remember this and was so scared for him. He perservered and came away with the gold.

Unknown said...

I do remember that. It made certain that I would never be a diver.

I just received One Night in Boston. It looks good. I can't wait to start reading it.

Anonymous said...

I could never be a diver. The trunks they ware are two small for me. If you no what I mean.

windycindy said...

I remember the one where he had aids and hadn't told anyone. He was a risk to the people who helped him after he hit his head. Cindi