Thursday, October 02, 2008

Two Contests Today!

Last day to post for the Banned Books Week contest - tomorrow I'll announce 2 winners!

Before I talk about today's featured book, though, let me just mention the Raven Halloween Hunt that's going on for the ENTIRE month of October. Authors are giving away some fabulous prizes, so click on the graphic below for all the details!



Today's Banned Book: Summer of my German Soldier by Bette Greene

This was one of my favorite books when I was on the young side of adolescence, probably due to my early (though then unidentified) love of all things romantic. If you're not familiar, it's the story of Patty, a fourteen-year-old Jewish tomboy, and Anton, a German soldier in hiding who stays with her family for a summer during WWII. Beautiful and poignant story. So why was it banned? Accordinfg to the ALA, it has racism and offensive language and is sexually explicit. Hmm. I just remember the impossible love story set against the drama of the war.

What's your banned book choice of the day?

3 comments:

Liz said...

My choice is The Giver by Lois Lowry. Can't understand why this was banned unless it was by communists. The story is about a society where there are no choices-everything is decided for you-you take a pill everyday which is essentially numbing you to the world around you. A boy is given training to become the The Giver who hold the memories of the past. A great read.

Marianne Arkins said...

"Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret."

That book helped me SO MUCH when I was younger... and my DD will read it in a couple years.

mslizalou said...

My choice is A Wrinkle in Time. I loved this book and the other books that followed in the series. My nieces love the book and even the movie(Disney made a great one a couple of years ago).