Thursday, January 08, 2009

A Very Nice Surprise

"Surprise is the greatest gift which life can grant us." ~Boris Pasternak

A very nice surprise showed up in my email inbox the other day: a note from my former 5th grade teacher (regular blog readers will remember that I dedicated my first book, One Night in Boston, to her -- and was a featured author at her summer book club last August). She had seen an article in the local paper about One Night in Memphis being an EPPIE finalist and releasing in May -- and did I want to come back and speak to their book club again this summer?

Of course I said yes!

Side note here: I sent out press releases to a few local papers (including my hometown one) after the EPPIE finalists were announced. Never heard a thing back. But apparently at least one was published. So...definitely write and send them out as part of your marketing strategy. I've heard of many other authors who were never contacted by a newspaper but ended up having their press release/information printed anyway. You never know!

5 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

That's very cool, Allie! I don't think I could come up with the nerve to talk in front of anyone.

And congrats on the EPPIE nod!

Dru said...

That is so cool.

Marianne Arkins said...

That's awesome! I've sent out online press releases, but none to actual newspapers.

Unknown said...

That is great! Congratulations on the EPPIE nomination.

Liz said...

Looking forward to the print release of One Night in Memphis