Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday Mentionables

"The coroner will find ink in my veins and blood on my typewriter keys." ~C. Astrid Weber

Good morning!! It's the last day of the month, which means tomorrow I'll be drawing the name of one commenter from the month of August as the winner of (your choice) either a download of Diane Craver's brand new release Whitney in Charge, a download of my newest release One Night in Napa, or a print copy of The Write Ingredients, a cookbook of yummy recipes collected and organized by Lori Foster and featuring Samhain authors.

Check back here on Wednesday to find out if you're a winner!

*****

Well, the BIGGGGG mentionable for today is that school starts again for me. I have mixed feelings about this. I do enjoy teaching, and I look forward to meeting a brand new group of students. But it's so demanding and time-consuming, and I know that once we start up again, things will be a blur until at least December. It will be tough to find time to write, as well, and that's always a downside.

Speaking of writing, I finished my line edits for Summer's Song last week, which means I'm officially between projects and need to figure out what comes next. The good thing is that I will have 2 print books coming out in 2010, so that gives me a little bit of breathing time before I need to submit something else.

*****
Update on my book signing over the weekend: I was in a Waldenbooks on a Saturday afternoon and did sell 8 books (a combination of all 3 that are currently out) -- really not too bad. Better than that, though, the manager of this particular bookstore loves having authors in and has already told me that whenever I have a new book released, she'll hold a signing for me. Yay!

And finally, the cutest story from my signing was this college kid who stopped by because he needed to get a novel to read and analyze for his college writing class. He ended up buying One Night in Memphis and said, "Hey, I think if it's by a local author my professor should give me extra credit, right?" Then I told him he was more than happy to email me any questions about the book and/or I'd give him a quote for his paper. I thought he'd about pass out from excitement at that point :) How cool is that??!?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is pretty cool. I bet he didn't expect to find anything in that store than a book. Little did he know.

Marianne Arkins said...

LOL... very cute!! That's funny. Wonder if he's going to get ribbing from the other guys in his class? Bet he earns points with the girls, though. *G*

Anonymous said...

Bet that college kid made your day. That was really nice.

Jackie said...

I'm a retired teacher and I can relate with you on the opening of school and facing new students for the first time...have a good year at school.
JFWisherd (at) aol (dot) (com)