Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Writers' Wednesday: An Interview with Christine Columbus

Welcome back to Writers' Wednesday! Today I'm happy to introduce a fellow Wild Rose Press author, Christine Columbus. You're gonna enjoy this one!

Christine, can you tell us a little about your background?

I have lived my entire life in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I am a Romance Novelist for The Wild Rose Press, with a number of short stories and soon to be released novel, The Perfect Country and Western Story. My latest poem appeared in the Bloomington Art Center’s Literary production Reflection. My flash fiction appeared at MnArtist.org. Other publishing credits include creative non-fiction, poetry and children’s fiction stories.

Yes, Christine Columbus is my real name, but when my Mom agreed to let my Dad name his 6th child Christine Columbus she thought he would have been smart enough to spell Christine with a “K.”

My favorite comment from a teacher was Patrick at the University of Iowa who wrote that he looked forward to reading my work because I was a glitter of gold in a box of sand. For some unknown reason I always visualize a kitty litter box.

LOL...Okay, tell us about your latest writing project or published title.

My novel The Perfect Country and Western Story… was just a blast to write and is a very fun read – even if you don’t like cowboys or music. – Remember the story of Cinderella – Well, instead of a prince and a glass shoe… There is Alexandria who is going to a country festival with an autographic Toby Keith cowboy hat and she is trying to find the cowboy that the hat belongs to.

What advice would you give to new writers just starting out?

Everyone says, “Write what you know.” Which I found very intimidating- because all I know is working full-time, being a single parent and raising 2 children and training 1 dog…or was it training 2 children and raising 1 dog.

So, I say just write… write anything that you think someone might read…because for me I write because I love to have people read my stuff…And when I wasn’t published I took classes because I knew the teachers would have to read my papers – or I write letters – or emails…as long as someone is reading – I am happy.

I like that advice! Now, how do you balance writing with the rest of your life?

I am really lucky… I hate watching TV and I hate cleaning. So, when I get home from work – after taking a long walk … I have to entertain myself. My kids are 20 and 21 and are in college – so they are only home for the summers. So, I write because …I don’t have anything else that I would rather do…

Do you ever suffer from writer's block? If so, what do you do about it?

No, writer’s block…just dusting, vacuuming, scrubbing toilets..block…and occasionally I don’t want to exercise block…

Describe your writing space (or include a picture!)





Nice! Can I join you sometime? (just kidding) All right, what do you like to do when you're not writing?

Pretend I’m a Harley Chick….




Chrstine, thanks so much for being here today. Anything else you’d like to mention?

Don’t be afraid to Live Your Dreams… instead of holding on… let go. And thank you for reading.

Readers, you can find out more at Christine's website, http://www.christinecolumbus.net/, and her Wild Rose Press author page. Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

4 comments:

Mary Ricksen said...

Write what you know, great advise!
Nice writing space too.

Christine said...

Thanks for the interview...and a great time.

Jennifer Ross said...

What an excellent outlook; I write because I want people to read my stuff, and I write because I'd rather do that than clean! Two things I can definitely get behind.

Helen Hardt said...

Nice to meet you, Christine -- love your writing space!

Helen
www.helensheroes.blogspot.com