Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Fun Facts: A Litter of Kittens!

"Cats are dangerous companions for writers because cat watching is a near-perfect method of writing avoidance." ~Dan Greenburg

And now for something completely unrelated to anything writing: last Friday, hubby and I discovered a litter of brand new baby kitties underneath our front porch. And yes, we were completely surprised! I had seen a cat hanging around about a month ago, but I thought she just belonged to a neighbor and was wandering. Nope.

Turns out she is a very affectionate, very young mama (that I'm guessing was dumped, because she loves people, so she was probably someone's pet) with a litter of six. She managed to wedge herself through a gap in the boards of our porch, and now she's raising her babies in a warm, dry, safe place.

But what to do with them? I actually mentioned them to my students, a couple of whom might be interested in adopting. I do volunteer at a no-kill shelter, so that might be a possibility. As it is right now, I'm guessing the kittens are around 2 weeks old, so we'll keep them here, feed mama so she doesn't have to spend her time hunting, and take it from there, I guess.

Want to see some pictures? They're so tiny - last week all 6 could've fit in the palms of both my hands!



1 comment:

Marianne Arkins said...

I wouldn't be able to stand it... I'd have them in the house. And, you have room for one more, right? *G*

Whoever dumped her should be shot. Just saying. Not that I have passionate feelings on the matter or anything.