Monday, June 18, 2007

Getting a Late Start

I know, I know, I'm late posting today. Suffice to say it's a story that involves me not being at my home computer, and remembering how slow dial-up Internet connections are...

Anyway, since it's Monday again, you should check out the Samhain Best First Line Blog Contest. This week the editors have chosen 50 of last week's 90 entries to move on to round 3. Here's an interesting quote from the blog:

We have just over 50 entries moving on to round three. Some interesting stats from round 2: The line from round one that was chosen by the most editors (5 of 7) was chosen by only one editor to move on to round three. No line in round two got chosen by more than 4 of the 7 editors. 60% of the lines were voted forward by one editor.


Wow! That really does emphasize, I think, how subjective the publishing world is. What one person loves, another person passes by. I used to be depressed by this, but I've since learned to see the glass as half-full...really, it only takes *one* editor or agent to say YES to your work. It's just a matter of finding that one editor or agent.

Anyway, swing by the contest and take a look. I have a couple favorites that are developing...what about you??

1 comment:

Marianne Arkins said...

I still love the kleptomaniac seeing eye dog. But this one tickled my fancy today:

Massaging the man of steel is murder, and I don’t mean just on the elbows. Five years as the exclusive masseuse for the Greater Seattle Superheroes Alliance taught me that lesson well.

Happy Monday!