Sunday, May 18, 2008

Remedies, Anyone?

"My own prescription for health is less paperwork and more running barefoot through the grass." ~Leslie Grimutter

I teach.

I have lots of students running around with germs all year long.

Yet I don't get sick from September through May, ever. I go through multiple bottles of hand sanitizer. I work out. I eat well. I get my sleep.

But inevitably, sometime around the end of school (last year it was late June), I get hit with a nasty cold. I think it's the build-up of months of stress, perhaps. This one set in yesterday.

I hate them. I have too much to do, and no time to deal with feeling lousy. Yet here I sit, tired, stuffy-headed, achy.

So my question today is, what's your best remedy for the common cold? I take zinc and vitamin C, I drink lots of water, I try to get a decent amount of sleep. But does anyone have any other good ways to get rid of this thing??

7 comments:

Joan said...

Don't have anything special I do to get rid of a cold. Just take tylenol, drink plenty of liquids and get plenty of rest. Wish there was a miracle cure.

Marianne Arkins said...

I had a natropath tell me once that fever is our bodies way of killing germs -- and so recommended that I heat up my body when I got sick, inside and out.

I took cayenne tablets and ate food so spicy my eyes and nose ran. I took hot baths and slept under lots of blankies.

Don't know if it works. Do know I'm almost never sick and, when I get sick, I don't stay that way long.

Good luck!!!!

Dru said...

Sorry that you're not feeling well. Drink plenty of hot liquids and keep warm.

Marianne Arkins said...

Um... that should be "naturopath" I believe... oops. Guess I should finish an ENTIRE cup of coffee before I post.

:-/

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're under the weather. My mom is a middle school teacher and she always seems to get sick right before breaks: right when the kids start getting squirrely and her stress level goes way up. I know she takes zinc and lots of vit. c.

I do the same thing Marianne does--lots of spicy foods. Anything to get the congestion moving. And drink lots and lots of fluid. The rest is just managing the discomfort and getting through it.

windycindy said...

Hi, I am sorry you are under the weather. Unless it is connected to a sinus infection, it is viral and it will run its' course! Do as you have been, fluids, lots of rest and treat the symptoms. Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Sarita Leone said...

Rest and tea.

I hope you feel better soon! :)