Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ah, Reviews...

"It takes many good deeds to build a good reputation, and only one bad one to lose it." ~Benjamin Franklin

Busy, busy weekend ahead! I'm writing as much as I can, thanks in part to my very good friend who saved me from yesterday's dilemma and scanned my hard copy to a Word document that I can play with to my heart's content! Thank goodness for technology.

And I should probably order some new bookmarks from VistaPrint, now that I have some good reviews back for One Night in Memphis. Speaking of which, how much do you consider reviews before you buy a book? In the past, I never *really* read them, until I became a published author. Now I see that good reviews seem to be one of the best things to have in your back pocket when it comes to promotions. In fact, I met an author a few months back who went into her local Borders to ask about doing a signing there - she was told to come back when she had some reviews they could use to promote her and her book.

Having said that, I know that many review sites are so backed up with requests that many authors (yours truly included) wait months upon months for them. It's amazing.

Oh! But speaking of which, Writers and Readers of Distinctive Fiction is a relatively new site and has a pretty good turn-around time. They've reviewed all 3 of my books, each one in under a month. So if you're an author looking for another review, send them an email. I've found them to be quite friendly and professional.

Enjoy your Saturday!

2 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

How do you format the bookmarks? Reviews on the back? I'm going to work on some today, so just wondered...

Liz said...

I can understand how they would be important for promotion, but as a reader I don't take them into consideration. Good luck on your writing this weekend.