Monday, September 15, 2008

A Good Chuckle for Monday

Well, if you didn't catch the skit parodying Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton on SNL this past Saturday, you missed out. Say what you will about its political commentary (and many already have), Tina Fey's resemblance to Palin is downright eerie, and her timing and delivery, along with Amy Poehler's, is perfect. I thought the script writers lampooned both women pretty equally, too. Take a look by clicking here.

***

So I'm considering attempting National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for short). It's basically a challenge to write a 50,000-word novel during the month of November - to let control and serious editing go and just write for 30 days. I have a book I'd like to tackle, so it might be good to jump in and see what happens. As they say on the website, you'll probably end up with a lot of crap, considering there's no time for true editing (or even conscious thought), but you also might produce the kind of raw, unique stuff that shows up in situations like that too.

I know other writers out there have done it...any words of advice??

5 comments:

MJFredrick said...

I've done Nano 2 years. Both times I finished, but ended up with a mess because I didn't plot ahead of time. This year, I'm going to try this plotting thing....

Marianne Arkins said...

I love NaNo, as you know...but, yeah, like Mary said doing some plotting ahead is a good thing. I prefer to do some in depth character sheets and a plotting profile -- with potential scenes, etc. I also make a list of NaNo "dares" to spark some writing when I get the blahs (of course, you have to write some goofy stories for those to work!).

Hope you join us.

J.K. Coi said...

Allie, go for it. I did Nano last year and it was a completely different writing experience. Not all the writing was crap, and mary and marianne are right, if you can do some plotting and get yourself ready ahead of time, you'll do great!

windycindy said...

Thanks for the SNL clip. I missed it on Saturday evening. Cindi

The Blonde Duck said...

It might be just the thing to jolt me to getting Missing Wings done...