"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. " ~Benjamin Franklin
Ah, I'm waxing nostalgic today...can't believe another year has come and gone! Sometimes I write resolutions for the new year, but I haven't gotten around to it yet, so that may not happen for 2009. Instead, here's a reflective meme that I swiped (and shortened):
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before? Held my own book signing!!
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? About half. And no, I probably won't make resolutions for 2009. I have some idea of what I'd like to accomplish, and that's enough for now.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Not this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No, thank goodness.
5. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? More free time. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening!
6. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I'm gonna have to go with November 4, 2008 - the election of Barack Obama as U.S. President. Historic.
7. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Probably developing my writing career and realizing I can write more than one book!
8. What was your biggest failure? Hmm. Not traveling as much as I wanted to.
9. What was the best thing you bought? My laptop and a wireless connection for the house!
10. Whose behaviour merited celebration? The American voting public, absolutely.
11. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? Where to start? How about with the guy who dressed up as Santa and shot 9 people on Christmas?
12. Where did most of your money go? Savings, actually. I'm very diligent about that.
13. What did you get really, really excited about? My various book signings!
14. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Probably about the same. Maybe a little sadder just because of some personal/family things going on right now.
ii. thinner or fatter? Also about the same. I try really hard!
iii. richer or poorer? Richer, in both money and life experience.
15. What do you wish you'd done more of? Traveled abroad.
16. What do you wish you'd done less of? Given in to my sweet tooth!
17. Did you fall in love in 2008? With a person? No. With new experiences? Yup.
18. Did your heart break in 2008? Yes, but not due to unrequited love.
19. What was your favourite TV program? Hmm. I'll go with favourite NEW TV program: Fringe.
20. What kept you sane? My writing. My family. My friends. The pets at the shelter where I volunteer -- nothing like furry love to make the bad feelings go away!
21. What political issue stirred you the most? The US Presidential campaign and election.
22. Who was the best new person you met? I met some cool people during my writing and book travels. And also my new students this year :)
23. Favorite book you read? I can't say I read one that really blew me away, unfortunately.
24. Favorite movie? Probably "21." Based on a true story, it's got a good script and good acting. I'd see it again.
25. What are your plans for 2009? Continue to write -- sign at least one more book contract -- and travel outside of the US.
What about you??
And here is the final installment of "progress on Entwined." I reached 33, 000 words - not great but not awful. I do have something decent with which to work, though, when I have time to pick it up again in 2009.
Current Word Count for Entwined: 33,137
Yesterday's Fave Sentence: Maybe identity is everything; maybe it explains the pieces of him that never felt complete until he came to Blakely, the reason he fell for Natasha, the struggles she faces whenever she looks at a blank sheet of paper, the way words fall like waterfalls for him, when the mood is right.