Saturday, February 28, 2009

Writer's Digest Tips

"I keep six honest serving men They taught me all I knew; Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who." ~Rudyard Kipling

Happy weekend! Thought I'd share a couple of interesting tidbits from the latest issue of Writer's Digest...

"Romance Gets Real" is an interesting article about Harlequin's latest imprint, a non-fiction line that's currently acquiring in the areas of self-help, relationships, health, sex, diet, fitness, and beauty. Looks like the economy is forcing everyone to be promo-savvy about what the customer is looking for.

"(Over)Exposing Yourself" is a helpful article about how to create good publicity for yourself and when to stop from going too far. The tip I liked best in this one was #6, Make a Sincere Effort. If you're an author who's approaching a bookseller about carrying your titles, make a good-faith effort in the store and buy a book. Easy tip, but I bet a lot of authors don't bother.

And a great writing prompt, if you need to break away from your current WIP and get the creative juices flowing: A 20-something man is sitting in a taxi outside of his parents' house, trying to find the strength to tell them that he _____________________

Have fun!

1 comment:

Mary Ricksen said...

What a great post. I can always use help with promoting ideas.
Thanks Allie!