Thursday, June 25, 2009

New Edits on my Plate...

"Writing is the hardest work in the world. I have been a bricklayer and a truck driver, and I tell you -- as if you haven't been told a million times already -- that writing is harder. Lonelier. And nobler and more enriching."--Harlan Ellison

Thank goodness this Friday marks the end of the school year (for a variety of reasons)...because yesterday my Samhain editor emailed me the edits for Summer's Song.

The book has an ebook release date in mid-November, which is exciting, but it always amazes me to realize, even after you sign a publishing contract, that so much work remains. I really like my current editor, but she's a stickler. Really. I skimmed the email of all the things she wants me to address (I didn't even look at the manuscript itself yet) and was so overwhelmed I had to close it again before I started hyperventilating. Little things, like removing some dialogue tags or changing references from pronouns to proper names. Big, messy things, like putting an original scene back in and changing other scenes that if affects.

I know it will be a better story because of the edits. But oh, how they intimidate me the first time I get them!

*****

I'm blogging over at Samhain's blog today -- want to come and visit me?

No comments: