Monday, December 07, 2009

Monday Mentionables: The First Reviews of Summer's Song!

The first reviews of Summer's Song are in, and well, let's just say that I'm reminded yet again of how subjective readers can be.

It got 4.5/5 stars from Single Titles review site (apparently a new sub-site of the well-known CataNetwork review site). In part, the reviewer said, "Summer's Song is an engrossing story about hidden pasts, lost memories, and finding love despite everything else. Summer is a complex character who you will grow to care about; her vulnerability is beautifully described throughout the story. Damian, the protector, is compelling as you read his internal struggle with his attraction to Summer..."

You can read the whole review here.

Then, it got killed - and I mean slaughtered - by Mrs. Giggles, who is notorious for her snark but up to this point didn't really destroy my books. Until now. She hated the bookSummer's Song and gave it a 56/100, claiming it was entirely too melodramatic from start to finish. Ouch. The tagline she has posted on her website is the tiniest preview: "Wow, lots of angst and drama here. Everyone has at least two issues to deal with in this story. I don't know why nobody has attempted to put down the hysterical heroine, however. "

If you want to read the whole thing, 5 miserable paragraphs about how awful my heroine is, then go ahead. You can read it here.

And in the meantime, I will be off toughening up my skin...

5 comments:

MJFredrick said...

Hugs on the Mrs. Giggles review. She called my hero whiny, so I can relate. Great review from ST, though!

Marianne Arkins said...

Mrs. Giggles... yeah. What to say about her? Thankfully, she's only reviewed ONE of my stories, and liked it *okay*.

Bask in the glow of your 4.5 review and try to laugh of Mrs. Giggles. To be honest, I've read some of the books she's slaughter (HEY... including "Summer's Song"!) and disagree with her regularly (HEY... including about "Summer's Song" which I very much enjoyed).

Because, yeah, it's subjective.

Diane Craver said...

Congrats on the great review from ST! I'm sure more will come. Mrs. G never even bothers reading my books. I've loved all your books and sure I will Summer's Song.

Liz said...

Congrats on the ST review. Don't know what the heck Mrs Giggles is talking about. I LOVED Summers Song!

Ceri Hebert said...

Yeah on the 4.5 stars!! As for Mrs G, well, don't dwell. She scares me.