Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Writers' Wednesday: An Ebay Auction for You

"Any proverbs about weather are doubly true during a storm." ~Ed Northstrum

Well, I'm sitting at home enjoying the first snow day of the season...yes, there are some perks that come along with this teaching job! Although I do have a stack of research papers to grade (not to mention contest entries for my local RWA that are close to being overdue...yikes!). However, I'll take the day off to lounge around in my pjs and grade when and where I want to, anytime!

***

Spotted this interesting Ebay Auction the other day. Irene Goodman, a very well-known, very successful, and very selective literary agent, is offering 25 manuscript critiques. She's auctioning them off on Ebay with proceeds to benefit two different charitable organizations, in part because her own son suffers from a degenerative disease that will eventually take away his sight and hearing.

The auctions (and there are 25 separate ones, one for each critique) run through tomorrow, December 10th, if you're interested in bidding. Last time I checked, each was up around $300.00, which seems a little pricey, but keep in mind that if you have the money, this is a great way to get your first 50 pages + synopsis in front of a very savvy agent who will give you honest feedback about what you need to do to improve it/make it marketable. It's not a chance to pitch your work (well, of course in one respect it is) as much as a chance to have someone in the industry honestly assess it and give you direction for revisions.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. If you decide to bid, let me know! And now I'm off to make some hot cocoa and curl into my chair while the snow comes down outside...

No comments: