Sunday, April 22, 2007

Can It Really Be? Is Spring Finally Here??

"April comes like an idiot, babbling and strewing flowers."
~Edna St. Vincent Millay


Looks like, for the second year in a row, late winter gave way to a roaring pre-summer, with spring getting the shaft from Mother Nature. While some areas around here are still cleaning out from last week’s flooding, most of us are enjoying temperatures up near the 70’s.

Yesterday I actually sat outside on the deck and read until I got too hot and had to go back inside. The flowers are loving it, as are the local critters, though as I walk around the yard, I see how much needs doing in the way of landscaping and planting. This will be our second summer in this house, and last year was, well, experimental. This year I’m ordering “deer resistant” flowers for just about everywhere I want to plant, though I suspect there really is no such thing.


Anyone know of anything that deer really won’t eat? I’ve had success with marigolds, and one friend said they’ll stay away from geraniums. Any other suggestions?

I’ll admit that I don’t have much of a green thumb (that’s my sister) and to be honest, I’d much rather spend my free time reading or writing than digging in the dirt. Still, I’ll give it a go. Maybe if I’m at all successful, I’ll post some pictures later this summer.

My latest WIP is coming along slowly but surely, with the height of the conflict happening in the most recent chapters. I just have to keep reminding myself that amid all the physical conflict, I have to work on the emotional conflict as well. Darn it. Writing’s hard.

1 comment:

Marianne Arkins said...

Deer eat almost anything... they've eaten my hostas, lillies (Though they don't eat daylillies, only asiatic), coneflower, lilac... BUT, you can mostly keep them away with a natural fertilizer called milorganite. My SIL makes little "bombs" from nylons and milorganite and hangs them in her garden.

Isn't the weather amazing?