Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday's Feast!

"In the case of good books, the point is not how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you."
~Mortimer Adler
It's Friday *and* I have the day off, making for a lovely 4 day weekend! Considering last night was a late one, what with induction of some of my students into National Honor Society, the chance to sleep in 'til a whopping 6:45 was almost luxurious!

Anyway, I have an important question for all you readers today, below, the Friday Feast. Please let me know your thoughts!!


Appetizer : Name a sound you like to hear.

Birds in the early morning. Hubby can't stand it, says it wakes him out of a deep sleep, but I like the fact that it's finally spring/summer. Also, the peeper frogs at night. We just opened our pool yesterday, and they were thrilled: a frog symphony all night long!

Soup : What is your favorite kind of cheese?

Either brie or really good, fresh mozzerella.

Salad: Do you sleep late on Saturday mornings? Why or why not?

Well, late is anything past my normal, teacher-day wakeup of 5:30, so yes, I usually sleep in a couple of hours past that on the weekends just because I need to!

Main Course: When was the last time you forgot something? What was it, and how long did it take to remember it?

Umm...I often forget my cell phone in the morning when I'm leaving for work. On a good day, I'll remember it before I get down the driveway. On a bad day...well, what's so important about me that people have to call me out on the road, anyway?

Dessert: Fill in the blank: I notice ____________ when _____________.

I notice I am happiest with myself and other people when I've had enough sleep and get to exercise on a regular basis.

And the very important question for today is,

What do you like to see on book covers?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm in the process of choosing/finalizing a cover for my first novel, One Night in Boston, that's being published by Samhain, and I'm stuck between 2 great ones that my cover artist came up with. One has a character on the front, my heroine, and the other doesn't.

So do you like it when characters' faces/bodies are on the front cover, or does that spoil the effect of creating them in your mind as you read? Would you rather have a more generic landscape scene or artistic design? Or doesn't it matter to you at all?

Thanks, and have a great holiday weekend!!

10 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Perhaps a shadowed figure in the Boston skyline...at night with stars. Your covers already sound good to me.

Happy feasting.
Mine's served

ollie1976 said...

I usually like landscapes on bookcovers that relate somehow to the book.
Thanks for your comment on my blog-I'm trying to look like I'm organized with all of my blogs being different!
-Jen

Annie said...

What a great feast!
When I see characters is somehow takes something away from the book... makes me think of romance novels at the grocery store. I guess it would depend (for me) with the look of the characters and the overall cover. I am a little overly critical about covers though :o).

annie
My Life as Annie!

Anonymous said...

I always shut the window so I can't hear the birds in the morning :) Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your hubby. I don't like to hear the birds in the morning.

I usually picture the characters in my mind differently than the ones on the book covers. The hair color needs to be right though. I read a book published by a NY one, and the main character's hair was a different color than on the cover.

I like my two book covers with the heroines, but didn't choose the third one with the heroine on the cover. She wasn't the way I pictured her to look so went with a plane scene. Good luck on the cover selection!

I'd answer the other questions, but I need to get my galleys done this morning.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, everyone!

Anonymous said...

hmmm...i've seen brie in most answers, maybe i should try that! never had it before!

Pearls of Wisdom said...

I love mozzarella ! Great feast. Have a great weekend.

Angel Mama ():)

Kwizgiver said...

I really like bold word-art type of graphics. Or, something obscure. I like to imagine the landscape and characters for myself.

Joyce E. Rempel said...

annie voiced my thought:

characters scream trashy romance novel

another author allowed a select group to "vote" between two covers online - like a focus group. made me want to buy the book just to see if my choice won the cover.

Kim said...

Great feast today. I completely agree with you on your dessert.

To answer your important question. It really doesn't matter to me. I base a book more on the description.

My feast is up...come on over.