Saturday, June 09, 2007

The Rough Road to Publication

"To write what is worth publishing, to find honest people to publish it, and get sensible people to read it, are the three great difficulties in being an author."
~Charles Caleb Colton

Remember I mentioned the Samhain First Line Blog Contest going on right now? Well, the first week of entries, 273 people posted! If you're interested, go check it out. Some of those lines are just terrific. I wouldn't want to be the editors who have to choose the next round winners, though. Man, first lines are tough. You're supposed to tempt, tease, interest, promise, and mystify all in one little line. No wonder I have such a tough time writing them!!

So I'm about halfway through the second round of edits for One Night in Boston, though there aren't that many this time, so it isn't taking nearly as long as the first round. I'm really starting to get excited because my electronic release date for this novel is July 24, a little over a month away! Maybe I'll try to find one of those clicker timelines that counts down the days and post it on my sidebar. Anyone have any good links for those?

OK, I'm off to my local RWA chapter meeting this AM followed by their annual luncheon during which I will probably be turning over problematic sentences and plot points inside my head as I long to get back to my edits...

2 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

July 24th! That's quick!!! Awesome.

For a ticker, try Ticker Factory.

Have a great time at your meeting.

Mary Lou said...

Glad to hear that your publication date is coming so soon.

Here are a few counters and tickers.

http://www.familylobby.com/create-day-tickers.asp#ticker

timeanddate.com

statsheet.com

Have a good weekend