Saturday, July 07, 2007

Putting Down and Picking Up

"The best style is the style you don't notice."

~Somerset Maugham

Today, of course, is the very interesting date 07/07/07. Significant? Perhaps, if you read this article.

Hmm...

Well, for the first time in recent memory, I put down a book without finishing it. Now, I occasionally won't read past a first chapter in a novel. If it doesn't grab me, then I'm OK with deciding not to invest any more time in it. But this novel, Jodi Picoult's Perfect Match, I struggled with for almost 2 weeks. I got about 2/3 of the way through, although it lost my interest after the first 1/2, and finally I decided to ditch it. Problem? I didn't care what happened to any of the characters. Nor did I really like or feel any attachment to them.

Have you ever decided not to finish a book, after you were 1/2 way through? Or are you one of those who soldiers on to the very end? This time, I just couldn't do it.

But I have discovered (I think) part of the problem with the WIP I've been struggling with. I let it lie for a few days, and mulled things over, and I have renewed energy and interests and ideas for the middle. So this afternoon I plan on picking up and hopefully working through the tough spots. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting indeed. My friend celebrated his 21st birthday on 070707... how cool is that!