Saturday, October 06, 2007

Two Down, One to Go



Woo hoo! Another Indians victory over the Yankees!

Last night's game was about as different as it could be from Thursday's, a pitchers' duel rather than a home run parade, but the Indians came back from losing 1-0 to tie it up and force it into extra innings, and then they pulled it out in the bottom of the 11th. I'm so excited!

Of course, I'm sure people are going to be talking about the fact that these gnat-like bugs (guess they were called "midges"?? they breed around lakes, apparently) came out after dark and started distracting all the players big-time. Guess they've shown up before, in Cleveland, and once earlier in the season, the umpires suspended play because they got so bad. Yankee shortshop Derek Jeter said, "Just when you think you've seen it all -- that's home-field advantage..."




I did feel a little sorry for the Yankee pitcher. He was covered with them, and of course the TV camera had to zoom in on his neck and face to show us, about every 90 seconds. The bugs definitely threw him off. In the 8th inning, he threw 2 wild pitches (Indians scored on one of them), hit a batter, and walked 2 more. But you know what? The batters had to deal with the midges, too.

Now the Indians have to come to NY and win one more game, which won't be easy. I'm not chilling the champagne yet. But my fingers are crossed!

5 comments:

Dru said...

with the way the yankees are playing, the indians will take it. if not in NY, in Cleveland.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to pretend I did not read your blog today. Liz

Allie Boniface said...

Liz, aren't you at the NJ conference today?

Dru, I know you're a Y. fan...but the Indians haven't won a World Series in almost 60 years. Believe me, I know about playoff pain.

Anonymous said...

Glad the Indians won!

Marianne Arkins said...

Woot -- Go Rockies!!! They won their series.

*G*

And, UGH at the bugs.