Saturday, April 26, 2008

Some Additional Links for Readers and Writers

"I must confess that I've never trusted the Web. I've always seen it as a coward's tool. Where does it live? How do you hold it personally responsible? Can you put a distributed network of fiber-optic cable "on notice"? And is it male or female? In other words, can I challenge it to a fight?" ~Stephen Colbert

For all my fellow readers and writers out there, I thought I'd share some websites I've come across recently that might be of interest. Let me know if you've visited/used any of these, or if there are others you'd add.

All Romance Ebooks - This is a great website where readers can sate their romance appetites. And for writers, the two women who run the site are absolutely lovely; I met them at the NYC Book Festival event last winter. They're always running ads in Romantic Times and offering reasonable prices to authors who'd like to participate.

BookTour - Every author who has a book in print should be listed here. This site enables you not only to post your works and your bio, along with any appearances, but to search areas where you might give readings or signings as well. And it's free!

MeetUp - This is a brand new site to me, but it looks like a place to search for different kinds of special-interest clubs. Great way to find groups to approach for book readings, I'd think.

PrintRunner - I don't know anything about this site other than Maryann Mcfadden recommended them at the conference I attended last weekend. But their price for bookmarks looks pretty good, so if anyone else has used them, I'd love to hear feedback.

Reader's Circle - For readers, you can search local areas to see if there are already book discussion clubs in place - or you can start one! For writers, you can do the same kind of search, to find possible book clubs to approach for readings.

Reader Views - Again, a new one to me, but it looks as though they have a pretty comprehensive offering for authors, including different "review" packages. I'm not sure how I feel about paying someone to read and review my book, but there's a free option I plan to look into.

Reading Group Guides - I just contacted them for promo information; they claim they can give authors access to their newsletter which goes to their 6000+ book clubs, among other things. I'll keep you posted as I find out more.

Rebecca's Reads - Ditto what I said about Reader Views, above.

Writers and Readers of Distinctive Fiction - Great place for readers to discover new romance authors and books, and writers to have their work reviewed. They say they'll review all romance except erotica and gay/BDSM, within 3-8 weeks. That's a pretty good turn-around.

Good luck - and again, let me know if you know of other sites that writers or readers would find useful, OK?

5 comments:

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks Allie for taking the time to look into these great sounding sites and post! You have a terrific blog.
I've certainly bookmarked it!

Dru said...

Thanks for the links, Allie.

ooh, I liked the BookTour one, especially since it just told me about several in my area. Kewl!

Diane Craver said...

Thanks for the links, Allie. Happy writing and reading to you this weekend!

Unknown said...

Thanks Allie, these sound like some great sites. I am going to check them out.

Marianne Arkins said...

I'm with you on the paying for a review thing... I'd always think they were suspect. But the rest? Sounds GOOD!