Thursday, July 17, 2008

Put 15 Writers Into One Room, and...

"Every author in some way portrays himself in his works, even if it be against his will." ~Goethe

Last night I spoke at a writers' group - in the library of the hometown where I grew up. Quite fun, I have to say, and a better turnout than I expected: 15 people, all writers, and all quite interested in what I had to say.

I spoke about my general background, my books, and then answered questions about the writing and publishing process in general. Since everyone there was a writer (except for one woman, who loved to read but thought writing seemed "much too hard"), it was a really cool, relevant discussion. They asked questions about writing, and finding an agent, and making $$, and self-publishing, and then at the end one woman asked me how old I was, and when I told her, she said, "No way! I thought you were in your 20s." So that was probably the best part of the night :)

If you're an author, I highly recommend connecting with writers' groups. It's a great way to spread the word about your own work, while having meaningful conversations with "other people who love words," as one woman put it.

6 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Great tip! I'm glad you didn't have any arrogant types that didn't try to steal your thunder. That happened to a friend at her book signing.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great night!

Anonymous said...

As one of the 15 in the room last evening, I would like to thank you again for visiting our writing group. You were an inspiration to us all, and proof that something might actually happen to some of our writings if we work up the courage to send them somewhere instead of letting them accumulate in our notebooks. Please come again, or stop by.

Marianne Arkins said...

What a great time you must have had!!! I'm glad it went well.

:-)

windycindy said...

Sounds like you had a constructive, fun evening! Good for you. I wish someone would think I am in my 20's!
Cindi

Devon Gray said...

You're past thirty? You lie. You don't look it!!! How did you find the group you spoke to? I'm sure you were a great influence for them.