Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Writers' Wednesday: An Interview with Donna Bolk

Welcome to a wintry edition of Writers' Wednesday (here in the northeast, anyway). Welcome to Wild Rose Press best-selling author Donna Bolk. Sit back and enjoy!

Good morning, Donna, and welcome to my blog! Can you tell us a little about your background?

I've held a variety of jobs over the years, to name a few; gas station attendant, prison courier, instructor, waitress, role player, army sergeant, and dog groomer.

I will celebrate my 30th wedding anniversary this year. My husband and I, have had the pleasure of raising three incredible sons, who are now in their twenties. Our oldest son is and artist, our middle son is a songwriter and bass player in a punk band, and our youngest is pursuing a career in writing.

Currently, my sister and I own and operator a dog grooming salon. I have the good fortune to be able to go to work each day and collect more than my share of doggy kisses, and unconditional love. And at the end of the day, I get to slip into my furry pink slippers and write. Life is good.

What an interesting and exciting life so far! So when did you first begin writing? Was there an event or moment in your life that triggered your desire to write?

I don't remember a time when I wasn't writing. Growing up I went through the daily - I want to be when I grow up stages. I discovered through writing I can do just that - from detective to showgirl, I can be them all.

Tell us about your latest writing project or published title.

I'm in the editing stages of Package Deal. It will be released through The Wild Rose Press in 2009. It's a romantic comedy that centers on a foster mom, and her five kids.

Saving Cinderella was released in 2008. It's a Cinderella in reverse story, about a young woman who goes from riches to rags. It's a romance so you know there's a happy ending for my heroine.


Wow, sounds intriguing. How do you go about developing your characters?

I start with a story idea, and two main characters, the other characters flow from the story line. For example in Saving Cinderella, by the time my hero a Adam (a country doctor) arrives at his ranch, his twin brother Josh is waiting on his porch. Now, Mallory my heroine is already out of element, going from rich to poor and city to country life. But she has the added surprise of her husband's twin bother, and to make things even more interesting, Josh is preacher. And because I so enjoyed his character, I had to give him a love interest. Enter Harley, a lady with a shady past. So, as you can see one character just rolled into another.

What advice would you give to new writers just starting out?

Write for the pure joy of it. Getting published is great, but if you don't love what you're doing it will get old and heart breaking. And of course the standard read, read, read, and write, write, write.

What kinds of books do you like to read? Who is your favorite author?

I read everything, but my favorite genre is woman's fiction, closely followed by romance. As for favorite author there are just too many to choose just one. However, I will put Donna L. Bolk at the top of my list as favorite author. I am a firm believer that you have to be your own biggest fan, if you don't believe in yourself, you can't expect a reader to believe in you. I give one hundred percent plus to my writing. The reader deserves no less.

Your own cheerleader - I like that theory! What do you find most difficult about writing? What do you find most exciting or rewarding?

Most difficult - that's easy. Where do I put that dang comma! The most rewarding is also easy. Hands-down it's hearing from my readers.

Great interview, Donna. Anything else you’d like to mention?

Thank you for letting me share a little about my books and myself . And thank you to the readers who took time out of their busy schedules to read it. Warm regards to all!

4 comments:

Mary Ricksen said...

Great Interview Donna, and your cover just blows me away! Good luck!

Diane Craver said...

Hi Donna,

I enjoyed your interview. I love your cover (TWRP always have such gorgeous covers) and your romantic comedy sounds great.

Thanks, Allie, for a great interview!

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

Thanks so much for taking the time to read the interview and commenting. I love my cover, too. The artists at TWRP are great! It was a winter ice land here in Maryland. It's almost 7 in the evening here and things are dripping and melting now. Hope you all have a great evening.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the anonymous post, but for some reason my password isn't working. Best wishes, Donna L. Bolk