Thursday, January 25, 2007

To Market, To Market

I would rather have had
One breath of her hair,
One kiss from her mouth,
One touch of her hand,
Than eternity without it. One!

~ from the movie “City of Angels”


OK, be honest: how much of your writing time ends up devoted to other things?
And I don’t mean the time during the day when you’re working or cooking dinner or running errands or spending time with family.

I mean the time you set aside to sit down at your computer, determined to write the next 1000 words or whatever goal you’ve set for yourself that day…

And you end up surfing the Internet/blog-hopping/playing games/checking out fave sale sites/planning your next vacation/emailing your friends from college that you haven’t heard from in umpteen months??

I haven’t written anything new in 5 days. Not good. It’s not that I don’t want to; it’s just that I seem to squander all my time in front of the computer doing other things. I’ve decided it is not at all good to be perennially hooked to the Web. In fact, maybe that should be my solution: writing on my laptop instead, which isn’t wireless and doesn’t do much but word process.

In other news, I just ordered the book 1001 Ways to Market Your Books and can’t wait to start going through it and getting some ideas. It’s a little more than slightly intimidating to search “romance writers” online and see the hundreds--wait, make that thousands--of hits that come up. How on earth does anyone become close to a best-seller, with all the prolific authors out there?

No comments: