Thursday, December 20, 2007

Musical Connections

OK, here's a question for you that has nothing to do with either the holidays (!) or writing (!!)...

How strong is the connection, for you, between music and memory? I've been playing with my birthday present these last few days, downloading music etc., and every so often I stumble across a song that pulls me right back into the past.

Kelly Clarkson's "Because of You" always makes me incredibly sad, because I heard it on the radio in the car after I saw "Brokeback Mountain" (the first time) and I was still weeping over the movie.

The Plain White T's "Hey There Delilah" reminds me of hot weather and poolside margaritas, since, of course, it was popular this past summer and we listened to it all the time while we were vacationing in North Carolina.

And here's the funny one:

Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You," a fairly happy, upbeat holiday song, always depresses me. Why? It must be about 12 years old now, and it came out right after I ended the most serious relationship I'd had, up to that point in my life. I walked through most days like a zombie, missing my ex so much. And that song just amplified every maudlin emotion I was feeling at the time. I was like, yes, I'll give it all up just to have that guy back in my life for the holidays.

When I heard the song for the first time this holiday season, I thought, "Oh, I like this song. It's fun. Wait a minute...why I am so sad all of a sudden?" I'd actually forgotten the connection...but something in my memory hadn't.

Weird, huh?

Any songs call up powerful memories for you?

5 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

Tons! But the two biggest for me are...

"You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker because my dad sang that to me all the time when I was little and it always reminds me of him.

And...

"The Living Years" by Mike & The Mechanics because it was released at almost the exact same time my dad was diagnosed with incurable cancer.

Now I'm sad... shoot...

Sarita Leone said...

Oh my goodness, there are sooo many songs that do it for me! Mostly they make me smile, especially songs that are now considered "oldies" or "retro"...the ones from high school and college!

Who knew I'd be "retro" so quickly? :)

windycindy said...

Hello, Most of my music connections come from Junior High School and High School. Also,my first dance at our wedding song! Thanks,Cindi

Melissa Blue said...

Definitely. Music plays a huge part whenever I go down memory lane. Don't get me started on songs I put on repeat during "stressful" times and now I either laugh or go "ugh" when I hear them now.

L. Lemanski said...

This might be cheesy . . . but, any Journey songs. Oh, and I guess maybe even Foreigner. For some reason the power ballads of the 80s and 90s (even though I wasn't in to it at all at the time) really draw out some major memories.