Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Writers' Wednesday: An Interview with P.L. Parker

Welcome to Writers' Wednesday! Today I'm featuring an interview with fantasy romance author P.L. Parker:

P.L. Parker is a newly published author of fantasy romance novels with a twist. Her modern day heroines find themselves transported back in time to live in ancient lands where they encounter peril, romance, treachery, and ultimately, love. She enjoys creating stories in both the light and dark paranormal. You will be captivated by the engaging and unique stories found in P.L. Parker's novels!



Hi P.L.! Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
In my real life, I am a legal secretary for a downtown law firm in Boise, Idaho. For many years, I performed, taught and choreographed beledi dancing (or belly dancing as we here in America call it). I've always written, but mostly for family things and for the fun of it. I'm an avid reader, reading usually 3 books per week.

Wow, that's a lot of reading! What about your own writing - what's your latest project?
My latest project is another time travel romance, this time dealing with a young woman who ends up on a wagon train to Oregon. I am almost finished with it and have titled it "Aimee's Locket."

How do you go about developing your characters?
As to developing my characters, in school, I was heavily involved in theater and when I write, I imagine myself as each character and try to develop the emotions that character is feeling.

That's a great strategy. Do you have any other helpful advice for new writers?
My advice to new writers is to write with passion, write about things that move you, be it romance, adventure, or whatever, but write about things that excite you.

Do you have a favorite genre or author?
I love vampire stories. My favorite author is Christine Feehan.

How do you stay motivated with your writing, especially with the demands of everyday life?
I try to write some every day. In that way, I don't lose the focus of my story and it stays fresh in my mind and the ideas just seem to spring up.

Do you write on the computer? Write everything out long-hand? Dictate?
I compose on the computer. So much easier to get my thoughts down and edit them to the point I feel they are what I am truly attempting to portray.

What's your favorite movie? Did it inspire your writing in any way?
My favorite movies are either Sci-Fi or historical in nature. I love ancient history and that's what brought about the birth of "Fiona." I watched the Discovery Channel one night and they did a show on the Urumchi Mummies and I couldn't get it out of my mind. The main character "Fiona" grew from that spark.

Thanks for a great interview, P.L.!

Want to know more about this author, or her books Fiona or Riley's Journey? Visit her website or her MySpace page...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if anyone actually writes any more - you know, with pen & paper...? :)

Sarita Leone said...

I like vampire stories too. Great interview!

Anonymous said...

Regarding the new author, P.L. Parker -- I purchased her book, Fiona, on the recommendation of a friend. I don't really care to read, however, I like audio books. But I read "Fiona" because friend kept nagging and asking if I'd read it. Finally, sat down and started reading it, I couldn't put it down!!!!! I became so entangled with the characters, I actually felt like I was watching a movie on the big screen. I even felt as if I lived in that time and knew the characters personally. The way she describes each character is amazing -- you have a total visual of that person and of each settings she describes, too!! It was the first book in years that I enjoyed from cover to cover and closed the book wanting more... I hope there is a sequel. I have recently purchased her second book "Riley's Journey" and cannot wait to read it!!! I'm sure I won't be disappointed! My advice to you non-readers is to read one of P.L. Parker's books and you won't regret it.
50-Something in Boise, ID